Pages

Ads 468x60px

Friday, December 14, 2012

Hijab : Is it an oppression?


But don’t you see
That I’m truly free
This piece of scarf on me
I wear it so proudly
To preserve my dignity, my modesty, my integrity
So don’t judge me
Open your eyes and see…

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh
May peace and blessings be upon you my dear sisters.

I just can’t wait to share to you all about my interesting experience. A non-believer asked me this morning, “Why are you wearing hijab?”

I just smiled and answered, “I’m wearing hijab because it’s commanded by my Lord. I want to preserve my dignity, my modesty and my obedience to my God. And it’s my own choice. I wear it so happily and proudly, without any force.”
“But doesn’t it limit your freedom?” he urged.
“Not at all. I can still do many things with my hijab. I can go to school/university, hang out with my friends, work, etc. I’m truly free.” I said.
“Your religion is so fake. You are being an oppressed slave but you don’t realize it. You look so oppressed. Why don’t you just show your body?”
“Well, if you had lots of money, diamonds, pearls etc, would you show them off to people or keep it in the safe place?”
“Well you already know the answer. Of course I’d put it in a secure place.”
“That’s it. Women in Islam are more precious than those things. That’s why not everybody can see their body. You see, if a woman shows off her body, flirty eyes can stare at them freely. That’s ‘cheap’. Hijab protects us from those flirty eyes. It releases us from being ‘sexual slave’ for them. Therefore I feel protected and secured wearing hijab. If a woman has right to show her body, then why doesn’t she have the right to cover it?
He was silent for a while. Then he ended up saying, “Good logic.”



Those were a bit of my conversation this morning. I realized that there are still many out there who misunderstand about Islam and hijab. They think we’re oppressed. They judge as if we’re not free because we are not showing our body. But is freedom just all about showing body? No. Freedom is doing the right thing without fearing other people. We’re free and we’re protected from the flirty eyes.  
For my sisters who wear hijab, know you’re all QUEENS. Not everybody can see you or even touch you. You’re a protected pearl. Be proud of your identity. Praise Allah because he has guided you to see the truth. He has chosen you to be muslimah who has dignity while many other women still proud of their nakedness.
May Allah open their eyes to see the truth. Wallahu a’lam.

Wassalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh
Fatima Zahra





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Please leave your comments here :)